Download this raw surfing video and edit a short video story (1-2 minutes) based on the interviews and broll. Follow these instructions:
Class assignment: Download these photos and audio file and use Soundslides (already installed on you class Mac) to create an audio slideshow. Be sure to:
- Time the photos with the audio
- Use the “movement” function to give some of the photos some movement
- Write some basic captions for some of the photos
- Add a title and credits.
- Once you are done, export the slideshow.
- Take the exported folder, “publish_to_web” and rename it with your name.
- ZIP or compress the folder and email the zip file to email@example.com
Be sure to back up a copy on your flash drive.
Information about the story:
Weusi Johnson, 10, has a 5-3 boxing record plus two golden gloves championships. He trains every day after school with his boxing coach Lou Lum at the Hicks Anderson Community Center in West Center City in Wilmington.
What to do
Create a multimedia NEWS story using video, an audio slideshow (Soundslides) OR an interactive map. The story should be compelling and use the techniques and skills taught in class. I strongly suggest you run your topic by me to make sure it fits this standard.
- Video and audio sideshows should be under 3 minutes in length.
- Interactive maps should include more than 20 points of interests and points should include detailed descriptions written by you and photos or video. Research is required for this option. Here is an example of an acceptable map presentation.
Turning in your project
Due: Last day of class — Dec. 3
- Videos should be either posted to YouTube and the link emailed to me, or delivered to me in class.
- Soundslides should be given to me in class.
- Maps should be emailed to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: This project counts for 20 percent of your grade.
Sound Portraits highlights some of the best audio stories, many of which originated on NPR. Highlighted on their site are four lengthy audio stories. Listen to My Last Mile, Ghetto Life 101, The Sunshine Hotel and Witness to an execution. The links to the audio are on the right side of the web pages. Some of these audio files are RealMedia files and may require you to install a free RealPlayer on your computer.
Create a news photo gallery. You must come up with an interesting visual news topic for this gallery. It cannot be about yourself. Find an interesting person, function, event, etc.
- Shoot photos with a digital camera. If you do not have a camera available, you can check one out.
- Use Photoshop or another photo editing program to convert and size photos for the Web. (DPI 72, 800 pixels wide, color mode RGB). Note: some cameras will do this automatically.
- Select no more than 25 photos to tell your photo story.
- Order them in a way that makes sense to the story.
- Write complete, grammatically correct captions for each photo.
- Upload the photos to Google + photo
- Create a gallery.
- Email the link to your gallery to this email address.
- This project is due by Oct. 15.
Email me with any questions or problems.
Have fun with it.